Gayle Brill Mittler - Mayor
A Council member since late October 2009, Gayle Brill Mittler brings her marketing and management skills into play in addressing issues facing Highland Park today. Her goal is to make Highland Park an "economically sustainable" community that addresses the needs of all its diverse population groups and to build upon the strengths that this diversity offers our community. She takes a managed and goal-oriented yet grass roots, approach to governing and increasing the Borough's volunteerism.
Since leaving corporate America, Gayle has been a business owner in Highland Park. Her marketing company is located on Raritan Avenue. This combination of residency and business ownership here in the Borough gives Gayle the unique advantage of understanding the needs of our downtown business owners and our residents, within the framework of local governmental requirements.
Gayle served as Borough Council President in 2012 and currently serves as Chair of the Council’s Economic Development Committee. Specific areas of current responsibility include:
· Liaison to Redevelopment Agency
· Liaison to Zoning Board
· Liaison to Planning Board
· Liaison to Main Street Highland Park
Additionally, Gayle’s commitment to improved communication throughout the Borough resulted in the formation of Highland Park’s first Public Communications Committee. This group has been responsible for the recent introduction of the Borough’s bi-weekly E-newsletter, Facebook page, Nixle messaging, and will the re-introduction of the Highland Park News in early 2013. Additionally, the HPTV cable station will revamping its programming and outreach.
Other areas that Gayle has impacted include environmental, health, education, and social issues. Resolutions and ordinances she introduced include:
· Anti-Fracking Resolution
· Resolution banning the use of triclosan products in municipal
· Ordinance introducing a Ban on Smoking on Municipal Property
· Resolution to educate proper usage of Turf Field at High School
Ordinance making new handicap parking spaces on residential streets available to citizens
· Resolution against school vouchers
· Resolution in support of legislation requiring community input for
approval of charter schools
· Resolution in support of Marriage Equality
Gayle's community history:
- Past coordinator, Central NJ for Obama, Jewish Outreach, 2008
- Past Vice Chair, National Public Policy/Social Action Committee,
United Synagogue for Conservative Judaism (2005-2009)
- Past President, Highland Park Conservative Temple-Congregation
Anshe Emeth (2003-2005)
-Past Chair, Highland Park Democratic Municipal Committee
-Past Publicity and Marketing Chair, Highland Park Education
-Chair, Black History School Challenge Contest Fund, a 501C3
-Highland Park business owner since 1995 (All Colors, LLC)
-Resident of Highland Park since 1978
Gayle Brill Mittler's two children are proud graduates of the Highland Park Public School system. She resides in Highland Park with her husband, Uri Mittler.